General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow import/copy-paste on the taxonomy edit screen

Currently, you have to add data to the taxonomy editor by hand. It would be great to be able to import or copy-paste from a website/spreadsheet.

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re considering if we can make a basic form of this available fairly soon.

This may mean accepting only a predefined format that we’d have samples for.

Now that all library content is available to everyone this feature is even more valuable.

Justin

• Create easier navigation through long alphabetical lists

For long alphabetical lists in the Windows app, eg, on the Locations view in BJ 5beta, it is tedious to scroll down to a distant letter. Can you consider adopting a feature such as is used in the All Apps view of the Start Menu in Windows 10, where clicking the letter header for a specific section (ie, A or B) pops up a box that shows the full alphabet, and then selecting any given letter swaps you back to the alphabetical list but scrolled to that location. This would be particularly useful on touch devices, and would have the…

8 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add ability to send list via email

Currently I have to retype my lists of sightings to send to my local bird group. If I could send direct from within Bird Journal this would remove a stage.

8 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A nice idea.

What would you like to send? Entry report, exported records, perhaps filtered?

What format do you send it in, and what’s your process at the moment?

Please provide detail in the comments so we know what’s required.

Justin

• Species seen since...

In the mobile version we have birds seen this year, this month and this week (but not a day list!) It would be more useful if we could specify a start date for a species count, which would allow us to do trip counts, that don't necessarily start on the first day of a month! It would be even better if we could filter to get the species themselves (although that looks a bit like another suggestion, which is more general).

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Species List photo indicator

On Species list view - Have a flag or indicator that a photo/s is held for that species, and have a capability to filter to show species with photos.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We intend to add the photo icon for species and locations list items.

The ability to filter would be nice – I’ve created a separate suggestion for this:
              http://support.birdjournal.com/forums/262707-general/suggestions/11174589-allow-to-filter-entries-species-and-locations-scr

This suggestion should be considered to mean only for showing the icon.

UPDATE 2016/03/05: This is blocked for now as it’s too “expensive” to work out. Further changes are needed to do this without slowing down the software.

• Selecting an observation in checklist view

When in checklist view in BJ5 beta, entering a species code in the Search field will filter the checklist column to show just that species, but then selecting that species requires the user to click or tap that specific item in the checklist column. Instead, when the checklist has been filtered to a single entry in this way, it should be possible to select it by simply hitting enter, as it is in non-checklist view

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)