General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Export/synch to MapMate

I'd like to export records easily to the Essex Field Club, which has the ability to sync MapMate data. See link:http://www.essexfieldclub.org.uk/portal/p/Essex+species+data

Many other recording schemes apparently use this system.I think Bird Journal has an easier to use interface, but would like the ability to easily transfer records across.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. On mobile app, add letters to help navigage the subscriber's species list

On the mobile app, the search bar on the right for the Add species list has letters that makes it easier to jump to the area where the species you are looking for is. The search bar for the subscriber's own species list only has dots, and you need to estimate the distance down the line to jump to the right area. Better still, if you could enable to type in letters to more accurately help with the search this would be awsome!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Family groups in the taxonomic list in the mobile version

The taxonomic list in the beta is great but if working with a very long list it means a lot of scrolling is needed. If family headings are included this will make it quicker to scroll through them. Even better would be to allow the families to collapse so that we could quickly scroll to the family and then locate the bird.
    A scroll bar that actually gives feedback as to where you are in the list would be useful, if such a thing exists in iOS.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Increment count in App

I am using the android app for survey entry in the field (yay notebook never leaves pocket!!). It would be extremely useful once a species is entered in an entry to have a increment button in the entry list to simply add to the count for a selected item in the species list as a new bird is encountered rather than having to enter the species and change the count.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Sorting everywhere

It should be possible to sort any list by some criteria (e.g. date, location, species, etc.), just as it is now possible to filter most lists. Sorting by multiple criteria would useful (e.g. sort entry list by location + date). Sorting also allows for grouping, at least in reports (e.g. a species report grouped by date or location). Sorting/grouping would provide some interesting analysis abilities.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Individual species graph

At the moment it is possible to compare members of a family ie:- Thrushes.
    It would be nice if I could compare sightings of one species ie:- Blackbird from one month to another for the same site.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Sections in notes columns in entry

When I write notes for a specie in an entry I make columns. When I save this - the columns disappears and it becomes one text without space.

It should still be sections/paragraphs.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow 'Count' type custom properties

In addition to custom properties of type Checkbox, DropDownList & Text, add a 'Count' type.

This allows to add individual properties for eg. Male Count, Female Count, Juvenile Count, etc, on a single observation.

The advantage over simply using a Text type property here, is that the counts would be added together automatically when reviewing observations. This is in addition to being presented separately too.

It also means counts would be available to use by population graphs, and be validated to only contain numeric values. This includes the use of + and c characters.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Format tools

It would be useful if in the text entry fields of Bird Journal (Notes, weather, etc.) if there were some basic formatting tools e.g. bold type, italics, underscore and particularly, if you are area a poor typist like myself, a spellcheck function.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 100% export of Bird Journal database

Create a 100% export of Bird journal database. Ebird record format export drops nested location names except for the country as well as any custom properties added by the user. The Bird Journal Record Format exports the custom properties but does not export the nested locations. Additionally, it is not a flat export file and appears the only use of the file is re-importing back into Bird Journal.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Do not smooth intra year graphs

In the Mac beta, at least, graphs showing the number of each species recorded this year are "smoothed". I don't think this is right (as the number you see on a particular observation is discrete - you cannot safely interpolate numbers between observations) and it makes it difficult to use. A simple bar graph would be better.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Checklist Import

I would like to create my own regional checklist by importing from a spreadsheet. The main purpose is so that I can create a regional checklists with sub-species which the preloaded checklist don’t include. I envisage a process similar to how entries are imported into Bird Journal with species/subspecies being mapped to a chosen taxonomy. It would also be necessary to assign the checklist to a location.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Oceans of World added as Parent Location

As a cruiser I have records of many seabird species from Antarctica to Arctic. Having Ocean as Parent it would be easier to place eg Bering Sea in Pacific.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow for Genus or "Group" level observations

For larger flocks of Gulls or Geese allow for an observation of Larus spp. or Branta spp. (or some similar, lower level identification). This would allow for better integration with eBird and data collection.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Show species counts on entry summary screen for non-bird species

As well as birds, I also record butterflies, moths and mammals in the journal. For entries containing no bird species the words '0 bird species' give no indication of what is recorded within the entry. Could it be modified to show what has actually been recorded? - eg. 3 bird, 2 butterfly, 1 mammal species? Or 0 bird, 8 butterfly species?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Create a search option

I noticed that I often find myself searching for a bird within the app. I have never seen an option to search for a certain bird in your seen species tab.

For the birders amongst us who have seen thousands of birds, it would be very helpful to have a search option to look quickly find a certain bird.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. The possibility to record sightings at a site over the month by editing the entry rather than starting a new location each day.

I visit the same site almost every day and would like to record all the different species seen over a full month.
    I could of course just start a new record each day but find it easier to actually edit the entry made on the 1st of the month.
    All well and good but that only records the time not the date for each entry.
    Maybe I am just a bit lazy but find this easier.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Social Media Sharing from App

I think it would be great if you could share an individual observation or a daily summary on Facebook/Twitter that would include a single photo if you had attached one.

It would also be great if it included your field notes in addition to the standard observation stats.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Ability to export sightings to the upcoming Birdlife Australia birdata portal for atlassing sightings of Australian birds.

Ability to export sightings to the upcoming Birdlife Australia birdata portal for atlassing sightings of Australian birds.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base