General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. create a report that lets you view which species seen in past years have not yet been seen this year

Report that lets you view which species seen in past years have not yet been seen in the current year.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Custom report allowing you to compare species lists between sites

Custom report allowing you to compare species lists between sites, ability to highlight species common to some / all the selected sites and species only recorded at one - initially direct comparison between two sites would be great, this is something I manually do at the moment.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export to PDF

It would be nice to export each years sightings. Including photos, to PDF.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. allow comparison between sightings in given years

i.e. for year 1 list sightings with comparison for year 2 highlighting sightings seen in both years and sightings seen only in year 1 or 2. Preferably with the option to specify a date range.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add facility to merge lists

I have imported data into Bird Journal from eBird and am finding that on some occasions (due to the way the data was uploaded to eBird) I have multiple entries for the same location on the same date. There's no way to combine this data to produce the 'composite' list for the day in question.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Create easier navigation through long alphabetical lists

For long alphabetical lists in the Windows app, eg, on the Locations view in BJ 5beta, it is tedious to scroll down to a distant letter. Can you consider adopting a feature such as is used in the All Apps view of the Start Menu in Windows 10, where clicking the letter header for a specific section (ie, A or B) pops up a box that shows the full alphabet, and then selecting any given letter swaps you back to the alphabetical list but scrolled to that location. This would be particularly useful on touch devices, and would have the…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Link mobile app to popular bird identification guides

This would be so that when I ID a bird using the bird identification guide, I can quickly add an entry to Bird Journal. Or maybe launch a specified guide ffrom within Bird Journal and capture the result.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Date range on entries

Allow to add an entry for a date range rather than a single date. This would be helpful when adding records where for example, only the year is known. Also when adding records from a multi-day trip.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Update the British Counties, especially in Wales.

Some of the Englishcounties and most of the Welsh ones are missing, and could do with updating.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add ability to send list via email

Currently I have to retype my lists of sightings to send to my local bird group. If I could send direct from within Bird Journal this would remove a stage.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

A nice idea.

What would you like to send? Entry report, exported records, perhaps filtered?

What format do you send it in, and what’s your process at the moment?

Please provide detail in the comments so we know what’s required.

Justin

12. Allow to create new locations *above* built-in locations

E.g., The United Kingdom has two counties Leicestershire and Rutland. Sometimes these are reported as one and sometimes separately.

What would be nice is to create a new location "Leicestershire and Rutland" and set that as the parent for both of them.

The issue is that as Leicestershire is a built-in location (it's installed from the ISO-3166-2 location pack), it cannot be edited.

A solution could be that built-in locations do not define a parent location anymore, instead they define an "ancestor" location, and the parent location could be set as normal, but only to locations that are a descendant…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Option to swap units: Effort distance (Miles/km) and effort area units (Acres/hectares)

It's would be interesting to add an option to swap distance and area units when you want to set either the effort distance or the effort area in an entry

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Update IOC!!

Its now April 2019 and the last Bird Journal IOC update was June 2016 (IOC 6.2). The current version published by IOC is 9.1. Its very disappointing when it takes years to update a fundamental taxonomy. This should be the core of Bird Journal and updated as and when a new version is published.

Unfortunately I am starting to get the feeling that the development (and updating of Bird Journal) is grinding to a halt. We get the occasional new or updated taxonomy created by users themselves, but now almost no in-house developments. Its a shame to see what was…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Lists

Being a person who keeps lists a facility to create a list of seen wildlife be it Geographic, circumstances. This would include Country, County Local Patch etc. I actually note wildlife I see from aircraft [sad I know] so I miss this facitlity.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Save graphs and photos

Make it possible to save or export the graphs and photos shown when looking through Bird Journal.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow to export the checklist report

Export is not possible for this report at the moment, unlike other reports. The reason is there is too much formatting to output as the typical CSV file.

If you'd like to see this, please specify whether you would like the export as CSV without formatting of any kind or as an XLS file with formatting.

Of course, please consider we may be able to add the flexibility needed to the report so you don't need to export it and modify it manually. We'd prefer that, as everyone will benefit from the easy customization.

Justin

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Mobile app finds nearby eBird hotspots

Mobile app finds nearby eBird hotspots.
    Set up the mobile app so that when initiating a checklist, it will provide a list of nearby eBird hotspots to choose from.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Provide suggestions when entering location and species names in the mobile apps

Neither entering the name without suggestions, or picking from a list is optimal

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. please put back the running total of species observations on the day list, so that I can see just how good a day I'm having.

In previous versions on the iphone when inputting sightings it was possible to scroll down to the # icon at the bottom of the alphabet list and see the running total for the day. I would like to see this feature reinstated so that I can keep track of how I'm doing species-wise on a day out. On the latest version I have to save the list to see a total (which means having to reset the location filter list to start again).

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base