Skip to content

General

42 results found

1. Can you provide an update on when the IOC and Clements taxonomies will be updated? It's been almost 2 years since the last updates. Thanks

It seems as though updates have ground to a halt again. If Bird Journal is no longer going to be updated is there a way the taxonomy can be opened up to allow users to create a clone of it and edit it themselves the same way we can with taxonomies created by other bird journal users?

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for the delay on this. IOC 13.2 is now available in the library as an update. Press Library > Updates then Update All to get it.

We've started work on 14.1 already so that it can be available once officially released. Corresponding checklist updates and Clements updates will follow.

If species/subspecies you have used need attention due to possible splits, lumps, etc, then on updating you’ll be prompted to review these using the desktop app. You can open the list of taxonomic update issues at any time via Tools > Taxonomic Updates. There is also a list of changes that affect species/subspecies you’ve used on the Change Details tab.

For more information on taxonomic updates see our guide: http://support.birdjournal.com/knowledgebase/articles/919095-taxonomy-updates-how-to

Please refer to IOC species updates https://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/species-updates/, subspecies updates https://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/subspecies-2/ and master lists https://www.worldbirdnames.org/ioc-lists/master-list-2/ if you’re not sure if a split is relevant to your records or not.

If you…

2. Solved - Enable SSL for logging into the bird journal support page

SSL is not enabled when logging in to the support page meaning our passwords are not encrypted when sent over the internet. Edit: 21/05/23 - I see this has been addressed. Many thanks

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Update IOC!!

Its now April 2019 and the last Bird Journal IOC update was June 2016 (IOC 6.2). The current version published by IOC is 9.1. Its very disappointing when it takes years to update a fundamental taxonomy. This should be the core of Bird Journal and updated as and when a new version is published.

Unfortunately I am starting to get the feeling that the development (and updating of Bird Journal) is grinding to a halt. We get the occasional new or updated taxonomy created by users themselves, but now almost no in-house developments. Its a shame to see what was…

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

IOC 10.1 and corresponding checklist updates are now available in the library. Press Library > Updates then Update All to get them.

If species/subspecies you have used need attention due to possible splits, lumps, etc, then on updating you’ll be prompted to review these using the desktop app. You can open the list of taxonomic update issues at any time via Tools > Taxonomic Updates. There is also a list of changes that affect species/subspecies you’ve used on the Change Details tab.

For more information on taxonomic updates see our guide: http://support.birdjournal.com/knowledgebase/articles/919095-taxonomy-updates-how-to

Please refer to IOC species updates https://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/species-updates/, subspecies updates https://www.worldbirdnames.org/updates/subspecies-2/ and master lists https://www.worldbirdnames.org/ioc-lists/master-list-2/ if you’re not sure if a split is relevant to your records or not.

If you need further support feel free to drop us an email query.

We’ve started work on 10.2 already so we can be ready to provide a timely update…

4. Separate timings - entries from iOS app

Give each sighting within a trip entry it’s own timing as well as geo location. And allow more than one timed sighting of same species within the same trip entry.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Geolocation-stamping separate sighting of same species

Option top allow observers to geolocate separate observations of the same bird, rather than adding them to the running total.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for helping out here Craig, yes that’s correct, it is possible to add more than one observation for a particular species in an entry. Though the feature is a little hidden on the mobile apps.

In the mobile apps if you press the + button on the left when inputting, rather than the row generally, a new observation will be created for that species, with a new geoTag and time. You can then step through each using the arrows at the bottom.

In the desktop apps you can just enter the name of the species again, when inputting, to get another observation.

Hope this helps.

Marking this as complete. Feel free to get in touch if there’s anything you feel I’ve not covered.

6. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow sub-zones within locations

After 2 years of 'casually' recording species presence/absence on a 38ha site 'Wallaroo' I now want to accurately record with others, species abundance in 9 smaller sections/zones (A, B, C, etc. through to I)

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Bird names

I've started using the new IOC British list but I wonder if the common names could be changed from the American names to what were used to in Britain please?

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. The ability to import individual cheklists from eBird in desktop

The current ability to import data from eBird into Bird Journal relies on the download of one's complete eBird data set. When birding with others who use the eBird app they share their list (obtained by concensus) with the party. These individual lists cannot be imported without a lot of reformatting to the point that it is easier to input these lists by hand.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Sort species by first and last observation

It should be possible to sort species by first and last observation. Then you could easily see i.e. your last 10 lifers.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Life list count running total

I think it would be interesting to have a graph that provides a running tally of the life list. So time on the x axis and number of life birds on the y axis, so one can look at "progress" over time. Alternatively (or additionally), it would be nice to have BirdJournal provide your life count on a certain date or over a date range. There are times when, after a big trip, I wonder how many lifers I got on that trip and right now there doesn't appear to be a good way to really get at that number.

43 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow taxonomic sorting on mobile versions

Currently the birds are arranged alphabetically, but you tend to see families of birds in the same locations (and you tend to remember them in taxonomic groups too). Any taxonomy would be an improvement on alphabetical sorting.

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is now live in both the Google Play and Apple App Stores! To enable the feature, select taxonomic ordering in the options section of the observation input screen.

If you want taxonomic ordering of species generally, this can be enabled using the Windows software. Go to Account > Settings > Personalistion.

Don’t forget that you get your votes back to spend on something else, now the item is completed.

Next up is the combined Mac/Web/Windows software.

Best wishes,

Justin

14. Create a Web version

Now that the data is centralised, a web version should be possible. I guess the pricing model may need to change to a subscription one or maybe make it a cut down version available to people with the desktop version?

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. On the desktop version be able to filter/search in the edit locations dialog box

I have possible hundreds of locations in many countries on 6 continents ( not Africa, yet!). If I need to change a location it's very tiresome trying to find them without being able to filter

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. provide a Journal for Plants, Animals, etc

I would be nice to identify other forms of nature such as animals, reptiles, insects, and plants.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi William,

You can already do this. Go to Library and search for what’s of interest. If the specific kind of wildlife isn’t available, feel free to create it in the desktop app. (Library > Custom > New Item > Taxonomy)

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Justin

17. Option to Switch Off Life Ticks

Am I the only one to find these recent additions irritating ?
    Having bird and nature watched for 50 years and used Bird Journal for less than two you can understand that BJ is not in synch with my memories.
    Justin has suggested I do a brain dump of every species I can recall seeing into BJ to stop the Life Ticks appearing. This seems an incredible amount of work when an option to just switch them off would be very simple.
    Not exactly overjoyed at the Year Ticks either but I can live with those although I would not…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add a spell checker

It would be handy (for me at least!) to have the ability to spell check the text I enter in any of the notes sections

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. update IOC, Clements World Lists taxonomy changes

Due to regular changes made by these bodies I would want to know my Life List is up to date with the latest releases of the likes of IOC taxonomy changes, lumps, splits etc. Currently I am aware of several changes made some time ago that I am currently missing in my list. Therefore I would really like to have my Bird Journal updated with these changes as and when they occur that then reviews and updates my lists in BJ and either updates automatically or asks me to review or validate any changes when required. To also know what…

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Taxonomy update are now available for BOU and IOC taxonomies:
    http://blog.birdjournal.com/post/first-taxonomy-updates-live1

We’ll be updating Clements next which will be significantly easier now that we’ve done all of the groundwork. No need to open a new suggestion for this – it’s already planned.

Feel free to open suggestions for enhancements to the taxonomic update process if there’s something you think we can improve on.

Thanks for your patience!

Justin

20. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)