Skip to content

General

232 results found

1. Species Mapping

As over the years I have used various taxonomies such as Clements, IOC, BOU and ABA, inevitably issues can arise in the mapping of these species between taxonomies and errors can creep into species lists. For example Setophagea petechia is Yellow Warbler in the BOU taxonomy but in the IOC taxonomy it is Mangrove Warbler. In IOC American Yellow Warbler is Setophaga aestiva. To help spot any such issues it would be helpful if in the species window, in the box where a species taxonomy and other details are shown, for the species name in the secondary taxonomy to be…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Checklist Import

I would like to create my own regional checklist by importing from a spreadsheet. The main purpose is so that I can create a regional checklists with sub-species which the preloaded checklist don’t include. I envisage a process similar to how entries are imported into Bird Journal with species/subspecies being mapped to a chosen taxonomy. It would also be necessary to assign the checklist to a location.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Export to Artsobservasjoner

Make it possible to export to excel in the format that is used in Artsdatabanken/Artsobservasjoner: https://www.artsobservasjoner.no/Download/SightingTemplate

I've sent you a simplified version of the file.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Add tags that have been appended to photos (from an app such as Google Picasa or Photoshop) to the photos information pane

Sometimes, additional information may be stored with a photograph. It would be useful to be able to view these tags either below the photo in the gallery, or under the photo information.information

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. The possibility to record sightings at a site over the month by editing the entry rather than starting a new location each day.

I visit the same site almost every day and would like to record all the different species seen over a full month.
    I could of course just start a new record each day but find it easier to actually edit the entry made on the 1st of the month.
    All well and good but that only records the time not the date for each entry.
    Maybe I am just a bit lazy but find this easier.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Print Routine

Make it possible to print a report with or without photographs. This will make it possible to print a concise report using less paper and ink

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Custom Life Lists for chosen countries visited

Currently we are unable to choose custom Regions such as creating a Western Palearctic list to then pick from countries visited to show a Life List for this for example that can also be shown in Graphs on checklists or Country lists.
    Related to this is the current limitations to only pick from a single visited site to see total species seen, but this doesn't scale with likes of United States where the Outer Lying Islands of USA form one of the US States but you cant choose from a list of multiple countries.(I think from Memory that Mexico is…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Fine-tune scrolling when using a wheel-mouse

In BJ5 beta, scrolling using the mouse wheel currently does not work ideally, in that a single nudge of the wheel scrolls the content too much. In the date picker, for example, if I have all of August 2015 displayed then I scroll down one click/nudge so I can make an entry for the first week of September, it scrolls too far and I can only see Sept 13-Oct 24. I have to use arrow keys to scroll back up to the first 2 weeks of September. Similarly, in when there's a scrolling list such as a checklist, scrolling the…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Selecting an observation in checklist view

When in checklist view in BJ5 beta, entering a species code in the Search field will filter the checklist column to show just that species, but then selecting that species requires the user to click or tap that specific item in the checklist column. Instead, when the checklist has been filtered to a single entry in this way, it should be possible to select it by simply hitting enter, as it is in non-checklist view

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Create easier navigation through long alphabetical lists

For long alphabetical lists in the Windows app, eg, on the Locations view in BJ 5beta, it is tedious to scroll down to a distant letter. Can you consider adopting a feature such as is used in the All Apps view of the Start Menu in Windows 10, where clicking the letter header for a specific section (ie, A or B) pops up a box that shows the full alphabet, and then selecting any given letter swaps you back to the alphabetical list but scrolled to that location. This would be particularly useful on touch devices, and would have the…

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. include a location filter in the checklist filter

If the checklist filter also filters by relevant location (e.g. the "Birds of Britain" checklist filtering your sightings for all species on the checklist seen at locations in the UK) then the totals in the checklist graph will be accurate. In this way you can use checklists to generate list totals for a given geographic area (and compare list totals between different checklists).

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Do not smooth intra year graphs

In the Mac beta, at least, graphs showing the number of each species recorded this year are "smoothed". I don't think this is right (as the number you see on a particular observation is discrete - you cannot safely interpolate numbers between observations) and it makes it difficult to use. A simple bar graph would be better.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Change order of pictures

There should be an option for changing the order of pictures after you have uploaded them to Bird Journal. Mabye you would have wanted picture number three displayed first.

The solution as of today is to delete the pictures, and upload them again in the desired order.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Ability to export sightings to the upcoming Birdlife Australia birdata portal for atlassing sightings of Australian birds.

Ability to export sightings to the upcoming Birdlife Australia birdata portal for atlassing sightings of Australian birds.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow to filter entries, species and locations screens to only those with photos

I suspect this will be most useful on the species screen to quickly get a list of species photographed. Would it be useful for the entries and locations screens too?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Species List photo indicator

On Species list view - Have a flag or indicator that a photo/s is held for that species, and have a capability to filter to show species with photos.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We intend to add the photo icon for species and locations list items.

The ability to filter would be nice – I’ve created a separate suggestion for this:
    http://support.birdjournal.com/forums/262707-general/suggestions/11174589-allow-to-filter-entries-species-and-locations-scr

This suggestion should be considered to mean only for showing the icon.

UPDATE 2016/03/05: This is blocked for now as it’s too “expensive” to work out. Further changes are needed to do this without slowing down the software.

17. Weather Trend link

Some how add a link for the Weather eg Met Office or BBC Weather, for the particular day

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow easy import from Nature Lister

Nature Lister is an Android app, partnering to Wildlife Recorder.

The Nature Lister format is different to the Wildlife Recorder format, so needs to be handled separately.

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Coloured Grids

Square grids -preferably a kilometre square- for us Australians, so that we can get an idea of how species-rich an area might be. We can then click on an individual grid and see the sites within and the species list for that grid -they can be coloured for differing species amounts. This will also allow for a more thorough coverage of a region and encourage birders to visit areas where they would not normally go.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Have the program notify you when a bird is a life bird

Most of the other programs I have used have a small pop-up that says lifer or life-bird when a species is recorded for the first time. I don't see that happening on the Mac version at least.

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

A number of lifer/first features have recently been added and are now in beta:
    – Badges and summary on the entry page
    – New customisable premium Firsts report
    – Enhanced premium Species Progress graph (Formerly Intra Year Species Progress)

See: http://support.birdjournal.com/forums/262707-general/suggestions/6817448-life-list-count-running-total

We plan to add notifications while entering as well a little later. This suggestion captures this intent.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base